Friday, July 23, 2010

The Shadow Proves the Sunshine

One of my favorite thoughts, one that awes me every time I think about it, is "the shadow proves the sunshine." It took me a while to understand it. To me it says basically that we know that there is a sun because we can see the shadows. Because of the darkness we can see the light.

When thing have seemed the darkest and the hardest is when I have been able to see where the most light is. Even when I have hid myself in some dark crevice, God somehow seems to find me and show a little light. I still had to choose to hid even deeper or go towards the light.

The fact that there is darkness, pain and suffering in this world only shows to us that there is light, joy, and happiness. This dichotomy doesn't prove that God doesn't love us, it doesn't prove that he isn't there. It can show us even better that he is here. The shadow proves the sunshine. The good proves the light. Evil proves God.

I'm a Mormon.

No comments:

Post a Comment